My New Favorite Smoothie

Recently, my friend Chris and I were strolling up and down the aisles of Bread Beckers Warehouse—one of my favorite places for healthy ingredients, fun kitchen gadgets, and great ideas for healthy living. She picked up a recipe card and immediately knew it was FOR ME­—the Smoothie Girl! I made a few tweaks, added a protein powder my trainer had given me to try, and blended up the yumminess.

Whether you like healthy smoothies or not, you’ll LOVE this one. Even Allie, my 18- year-old who steers clear of most of my smoothies, admitted that this one is great!

• 1 C. almond milk (or your favorite milk)
  • 5 almond milk ice cubes (or regular ice)
  • 1 scoop of your favorite chocolate protein powder (vanilla will work, just add an extra tablespoon of cacao)
  • 2 T. cacao
  • 1 t. maca powder
  • 1 t. lucuma powder
  • 1 T. coconut oil
  • 2 T. peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter)
  • 1 date (pit removed—don’t forget that!)
  • 1 t. vanilla

Blend all together and enjoy.

Fav Smoothie Ingred.jpg fav smoothie sandra.jpg

This is great for a post-workout smoothie or meal replacement. Loaded with healthy proteins and fats to fuel those tired muscles. It’s approximately 380 calories depending on your protein powder. If you need to reduce the calories, just eliminate the peanut butter. It’ll still be delicious!

Try it, and let me know what you think.

Comments

1. Mary says

I don’t recognize many of the ingredients so it will be fun to try. We had to cut dairy, grains and sugar out of our diets so having a smoothie with healthy fats is welcome – it helps fill us up. Are we the only ones trying to avoid peanut butter using other nut butters instead? I’ve learned tree nuts don’t need to be organic (the shells have the sprays and they are discarded) but peanuts are loaded with pesticides.

I love your recipe posts Sandra. Actually we love all your posts!

• Sandra Stanley says

Hi Mary! Yes, if I use peanut butter I always use organic. This recipe is great with almond butter, which is my nut butter of choice. Let me know what you think!

2. L says

I’m curious as to which protein powder was recommended to you? I wouldk to to find a good one, but those seem difficult to sort through!

• Sandra Stanley says

I know what you mean! There are so many different kinds with different protein sources and crazy ingredients..

I don’t know much about the Core company, but feel free to contact Tammy if you’d like more info. She has done a ton of research on protein powders and really thinks this one is great. It is one of those multi-level business things, which I don’t plan to do, but it sounds like a really good product. Plus, it tasted great and not chalky.

• TruCELLE™
      • Soy and gluten-free*
      • Non-GMO*
      • No Sucralose
      • No artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners
      • No banned substances
      • No unlisted or harmful ingredients

She gave me a sample of both the chocolate and the vanilla. I ordered both!

Hope that helps!

• Margaret says

Thank you for sharing this! If you are still using the Core protein powder can you share information about where you purchase it or do you know if the above link is still active/correct?
        Also, I made the Greek Yogurt Pound Cake on your blog and it got rave reviews! Thanks!

I just printed this out for my ‘Sandra Stanley Cookbook’,,,,fun!:) I have a quick quick question. Did you do these yummy healthy smoothie drinks during your consumed children season? We just can’t seem to fit these smoothies(and keeping up with ingredients) into our schedule.:(:( It’s such a huge accomplishment just feeding our girls breakfast and trying to get their schoolwork done.:):),,,,and from then on it’s non-stop.

I always look so forward to your posts!! Thank you!

• Sandra Stanley says

Tifani, I’d say keep the smoothies simple and let your kids enjoy the fruit ones. You can always add spinach and no one ever tastes that! 🙂

Sandra, I’m so excited I found your blog! My Husband and I found North Point, while we were living on a little island off the coast of Puerto Rico, over 3 years ago, and have been “online” members ever since (now we live in TX). I too have a passion for health and fitness, and can’t wait to try this awesome looking smoothie!!!

Take care,
    Tabbitha

5. Lizett Oosthuizen says

I am going to make this! I love anything chocolate:). I read up on the less familiar ingredients and even though they have many health benefits, there are also restrictions like not to take maca if you have high blood pressure and some others. The one that may be most important to mention is this:

“If you are pregnant or lactating you should avoid taking maca.”
    Read more at http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/7-top-health-benefits-of-maca/#v6TReOQxofJ8qc9u.99
    Thanks again,
    Lizett

• Sandra Stanley says

Thanks for that great info, Lizette! I only knew about the benefits. I learned about Maca from Superfood Smoothies by Julie Morris. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Looks like a great combination. I think I’ll try it with raw cacao powder instead of the protein powder. I might add hemp seeds and maybe an egg for the protein boost!

I feel like we have the same situation with trying to get our girls to enjoy all the healthy delicious recipes we invent! 🙂 One day they will appreciate us!

Fortunately, my older kids will gladly take most things I fix them, and my hubbie even appreciates and asks for my weird concoctions! So, progress is being made!

7. Jessica says

Have you tried PB2? Available on Amazon. Powdered peanuts – makes for peanut butter-flavored smoothies without the calories and fat! Woohoo!