4 Reasons to Read Your Bible Daily

imgres-1One of my favorite quiet time/devotional tools is Ruth Myers’ 31 Days of Praise.

In this single quote from Day 7, she outlines four huge benefits to spending time in God’s Word daily:

“What a privilege it is to store Your Word in my heart, where You can use it at any moment to bless me and guide me… to keep me from sinning against You… and to be a storehouse of inspired words that the Spirit can bring to my mind to help others.”

1.  To bless me.  Sounds kind of selfish, but really, who doesn’t want to be blessed?  Being blessed by God, through His Word, is a huge motivator for me.  The blessings can be as simple as my anxious heart being stilled.  It might be encouragement when I’m feeling like I’m not measuring up.  It might be fresh perspective, or a renewed mind.  The blessings may vary from day to day, but I rarely walk away from my time with Him without having been blessed in some recognizable way.

2.  To guide me.  Really, this is a biggie.  I keep a small pad of paper next to me during my quiet time.  He’s amazing at giving me ideas, placing someone on my heart who needs encouragement, redirecting the trajectory of my planned day, or instructing me in areas where I need growth and change (I use my journal for this, too – a post for another day).  I invite and delight in any guidance He gives.  (BTW, I’ve learned not to have my phone, iPad, or computer near me during my quiet time.  It’s a problem when I do.  Probably just me…).

3.  To keep me from sinning against You.  God’s Word is constantly refining, changing, cleansing, and opening my eyes to my yuck…  I REALLY need number three.

4.  Equip me to help others.  Isn’t is great to walk away from a situation where someone needed Godly wisdom, helpful guidance, or encouragement from Scripture, and you were able to deliver?  His Word was tucked away, hidden in your heart, and He chose to intersect someone in need with YOU, because He knew you had the good stuff available!  Love that.  Funny, you don’t walk away proud, you walk away humbled that God saw you and chose to use you.

While these four certainly aren’t the only reasons for spending time in Scripture each day, I think they’re pretty compelling.  It’s worth it to carve out the time, and let it become a part of the daily routine.  You’ll be glad you did!

Comments

1. nannette says

Thank You Sandra!! I’m excited you’re blogging! As a busy working mom its some days hard to carve out time to sit at His feet…thank you for the reminder that even 15 minutes can bring more peace and joy in the crazyness of a 24 day.

2. katie says

Its so crazy how even knowing this, i still find it difficult to manage my time wisely enough to MAKE THIS HAPPEN! thank you for sharing your wisdom here! Babies are sleeping! a perfect time to open up my Bible rather than work on a grocery list!
    Thank you Sandra!

3. Chris says

Thank you for sharing. God consistently uses you and Andy both to speak to all you reach. It has been a blessing to me and my husband!

I just ordered that 31 Days of Praise book for me and my sister. Excited! Thank you for your insightful wonderful simple wisdom for us moms. Our days are sure less-stressed when we start it off with God completely in it. You are sure right on about putting the electrical devices away…huge problem for me too! I keep looking so forward to your posts! Your encouragement and advice gives all of us moms a huge boost in our days and lives! Thank you! You and Andy keep blessing and blessing our family! So incredible!

5. Donna McMurry says

So glad to see you have a blog. Looking forward to learning from your many years of daily time with our Lord. Thank you for sharing.

My favorite quote from Ruth Myers in 31 Days Of Praise” is on day 5. “I praise You for Your sovereignty over the broad events of my life and over the details. With You, nothing is accidental, nothing is incidental, and no experience is wasted. Every trial that You allow to happen is a platform on which You reveal Yourself, showing Your love and power, both to me and to others. Thank You that I can move into the future nondefensively, with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead, for You hold the future and You will always be with me, even to my old age….and through all eternity. Amen.”

I got the ’31 Days of praise books’ and ‘How to be Rich’ book in mail today! Yippee! Thank you ALWAYS for your wonderful encouragement!

7. Beth says

How “Providential” to find this post today, my 50th birthday. My prayer is that He would make me thirsty for His Word and that I would carve out time for Him each day. Thank you!